22 Feb 2022
Every year, thousands of families come to the mountains to make lasting memories with their children. Seeing the joy on their faces when they experience their first snow, watching them learn to ski, and enjoying a relaxing evening by the fire at the end of the day make vacationing in the mountains a truly special experience. But as every parent knows, planning a vacation with children is no easy task. When it comes to arranging a picture-perfect vacation, doing some simple preparation can make all the difference. To take the guesswork out of your planning, we list our top 5 tips for creating a seamless kid-friendly ski trip below.
1) Book Ski School Early: Ski school is an essential stop when bringing your kids to the mountains. While there are several options for booking ski lessons in Summit County, we recommend booking with the ski resorts directly. But plan early! Ski school regularly books up for the busiest times of the season. Check out the Breckenridge Resort Ski School if you’re staying in the Breckenridge area, and the Copper Mountain Resort Ski School if you’re staying in Copper. Alternatively, if you’re on a budget and hoping to avoid crowds, consider making the short drive to the Frisco Beginner Ski Hill.
2) Don’t Waste Space, Time, and Money Traveling with Kid-Gear: Traveling with infants can be especially challenging considering all the extra gear needed. Car seats, pack-n-plays, toys; bringing all this stuff along can be exhausting, and expensive! While it can be tempting to book a vacation home that advertises these items are already in the house, wondering if they are sanitized between guests can almost be as much of a worry as just bringing the items yourself. For these reasons, we suggest renting your gear! MountainTot is a local company that can help with needs from pack-n-plays to highchairs and even toys. The equipment is professionally sanitized between each use and delivered prior to your arrival and picked up after your stay for a hassle-free experience.
3) Plan Alternative Activities: Skiing may be your first stop for your mountain visit, but don’t forget to take advantage of the other great kid-friendly activities in the area! Visit the Breckenridge Rec Center for loads of fun including a large indoor pool featuring a shallow splash zone and a lazy river, an indoor play area, rock climbing wall, skateboard park, and more! For entertainment with a historical twist, check out Country Boy Mine. You can tour Summit County’s only gold mine, pan for gold, take a monster truck sleigh ride, and meet the burros! In Copper Mountain, visit The Barn at Woodward for an action-packed indoor sports playground. They offer a full skate course, Olympic-grade trampolines, a tumble track, and more!
4) Find the Family Friendly Restaurants: There is certainly no shortage of amazing restaurants in the Summit County area. Knowing which ones to visit that welcome families and cater to picky eaters can be a lifesaver at the end of a long day. For the pizza-lovers in your group, check out Fatty’s Pizzeria. For the burger-lovers, visit Empire Burger. For dinner with a sleigh ride, check out Two Below Zero. In Copper Mountain, visit JJ’s Rocky Mountain Tavern for American comfort-food classics. And for even more options, check out Breckenridge’s Dining Guide. Pro-Tip: Make sure to call ahead for reservations to avoid long wait times during the busy ski season!
5) Hire a Sitter: Sometimes the best option to make sure everyone enjoys their vacation is to simply hire a sitter. When staying in the Summit County area, we recommend working with Resort Sitters. They keep the kids entertained while the adults have their own fun. Not only are resort sitters professional, certified, and experienced, but they also ensure your kids have a great time by taking them on various activities through town. Reach out to Resort Sitters for more information on rates and activities.
Be prepared for your next family vacation by using these tips to plan the perfect ski trip! And if you haven’t already, make sure to book your luxury vacation home with River Ridge Rentals!